Pacific Parliamentary Partnerships Fund
The Pacific Parliamentary Partnerships (PPP) Fund represents a commitment from Australia’s federal, state and territory parliaments to support parliamentary strengthening in the Pacific region. Under the auspices of the Fund, twinning arrangements have been established between Australian and Pacific Island parliaments and targeted assistance is offered to Pacific Island parliaments through provision of training and equipment.
The current twinning arrangements are:
- Australian Capital Territory with Kiribati
- New South Wales with Bougainville (Papua New Guinea) and Solomon Islands
- Northern Territory with Niue
- Queensland with Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu
- South Australia with Tonga
- Victoria with Nauru, Tuvalu and Fiji
- Tasmania with Samoa
- Western Australia with Cook Islands
As part of its annual activities, the Australian Region branches of the CPA provide training and equipment to twelve Pacific Island parliaments on a rotation basis. The Fund is administered by the Regional Secretariat located in the International and Parliamentary Relations Office at Parliament House in Canberra.