Representation and Diversity in Democracy
Date: 7 December 2021
Time: 16:00 UTC
In the lead-up to International Human Rights Day, the CPA will bring together leading experts from around the globe to look at representation and diversity in democracy. Through the lens of gender, disabilities, LGBT+ and indigenous peoples, the webinar will examine how Parliaments should engage, represent and reflect the full spectrum of diversities within their countries and communities. Panellists will address questions including:
- What initiatives should be established to increase representation of, or attract candidates from, under-represented or marginalised communities?
- How can current Parliamentarians secure better access and opportunities?
- Who should Parliamentarians be engaging with and how?
- Are quotas the solution?
- How do Commonwealth democracies move beyond symbolism and tokenism to embed change and sustainability to ensure Parliaments and all democratic institutions give the people power?
- How has diversity and inclusion been hindered by COVID-19?
- How do they interconnect with achieving the Sustainable Development Goals?
Contact: Matthew Salik, Head of Programmes, firstname.lastname@example.org