The Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) was originally established in 1911 as the Empire Parliamentary Association. In 1948, the name was changed to the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association.
The CPA was registered as a charity on 22 October 1971 (registration number 263147) under the laws of the United Kingdom. Its principal office is located at the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, CPA Headquarters Secretariat in London, United Kingdom.
The Association’s Constitution was first adopted by the General Assembly in Cyprus on 6 September 1993, and amended by the General Assembly of the Association at its meetings in New Zealand on 19 October 1998; in Canada on 7 September 2004; in India on 28 September 2007; in Kenya on 18 September 2010; in South Africa on 5 September 2013; and in the United Kingdom on 16 December 2016.
The current membership is made up of over 180 national, state, provincial and territorial Parliaments or Branches in 54 countries of the Commonwealth.